Nov 21, 2011

News Alert: Egypt's Civilian Government Submits Offer to Resign

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Monday, November 21, 2011 -- 2:06 PM EST
-----

Egypt's Civilian Government Submits Offer to Resign

After three days of increasingly violent demonstrations, Egypt's interim civilian government submitted its resignation to the country's ruling military council on Monday, bowing to the demands of the protesters and marking a crisis of legitimacy for the military-led government.

The step was reported by Egyptian television, and it remained to seen whether the military would accept or reject the offer of the resignation, which followed the most sustained and bloodiest challenge to military's hold on power since the fall of Hosni Mubarak as demonstrators clashed with security forces around Tahrir Square and across the country. Egyptian troops had been heralded as saviors when their generals ushered out President Mubarak on Feb. 11, but on Sunday they led a new push to clear the square. The Health Ministry said Monday that at least 23 people had been killed. Since Saturday, more than 1,500 people had been wounded, the ministry said.

By Monday evening the crowd in Tahrir Square, the symbolic epicenter of the Arab Spring uprisings, had swelled to a size even larger than the night before, easily exceeding 10,000.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/world/middleeast/facing-calls-to-give-up-power-egypts-military-battles-crowds.html?hp&emc=na

About This E-Mail
You received this message because you are signed up to receive breaking news
alerts from NYTimes.com.

To unsubscribe, change your e-mail address or to sign up for daily headlines
or other newsletters, go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/email

NYTimes.com
620 Eighth Ave.
New York, NY 10018

Copyright 2011 The New York Times Company

No comments:

Post a Comment