| |
| |
| | By Manuela Vega | | |
| | | Good morning. Here’s the latest on a bus that crashed into a daycare, four Indigenous women believed to be victims of a serial killer and Doug Ford’s apparent cosiness with Metrolinx. | | | |
| |
| | | | DON’T MISS | | |
| | Allan Woods/Toronto Star | | |
| | | QUEBEC | | | Two four-year-olds — identified in court documents only as J.G and M.D — have died, and six other children were injured after a driver ploughed a bus through the front wall of a daycare on Wednesday morning. The alleged driver, a 51-year-old municipal employee of the Montreal suburb, was also taken to hospital. Police have not commented on any possible motive for the attack. Allan Woods reports from Laval on the chaotic scene and what is known about the driver. - More: Pierre Ny St-Amand faces two counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault and four counts of assault with a weapon.
- More: A police officer told a court that doctors determined St-Amand had no physical injuries but they wanted him to undergo a mental health assessment to determine if he presented a danger to the public.
| | | |
| | David Lipnowski/For the Toronto Star | | |
| | | MISSING AND MURDERED INDIGENOUS WOMEN AND GIRLS | | | “In my culture, Indigenous women, any woman for that matter, are considered sacred,” says Cambria Harris. She’s fighting for her mother to be found, so her spirit can finally rest. Harris, along with a few other community members, have spent nearly two months at a camp outside a landfill, dedicated to four Indigenous women who police say are victims of a serial killer. The remains of one, Rebecca Contois, were found there in June. Omar Mosleh reports on the uphill battle for attention to the cause of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls — and calls for police to search landfills for the women who have died. - More: Police say the victims are Morgan Harris, 39, Marcedes Myran, 26, Rebecca Contois, 24, and an unidentified victim who police believe was an Indigenous woman in her 20s. She is being referred to as Mashkode Bizhiki’ikwe, or Buffalo Woman.
- By the numbers: The RCMP said in a 2014 report they estimate there have been about 1,181 missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls nationwide between 1980 and 2012, but the Native Women’s Association of Canada says the number is likely upwards of 4,000.
- Watch for: A 35-year-old Winnipeg man charged with four counts of first-degree murder is slated to appear in court today.
| | | |
| | Steve Russell/Toronto Star | | |
| | | STAR EXCLUSIVE | | | | Just how independent is Metrolinx? According to internal emails obtained by the Star, the Ontario government directed the transit agency to leave two Toronto NDP MPPs off a notice sent to city and federal politicians about tree removals in their jurisdictions. It overrode Metrolinx’s recommendation to include Kristyn Wong-Tam and Peter Tabuns in conversations and asked the transit agency to remove the estimated number of trees being taken down from construction notices. Lex Harvey reports on criticism emerging about Metrolinx — and what else the emails reveal. | | | |
| | | | WHAT ELSE | | |
| |
| | | | POV | | | | Andrew Francis Wallace/Toronto Star | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | CLOSE-UP | | |
| | Adem Altan/AFP via Getty Images | | |
| | | TURKEY: Survivors gathered next to a bonfire outside collapsed buildings in Kahramanmaras on Wednesday after their homes were destroyed in Monday’s 7.8 magnitude earthquake. Meanwhile, their access to Twitter — which had been a lifeline after the earthquake — has been restricted. Here’s why some people blame government censorship. | | | |
| |
| | | Thank you for reading. You can reach me and the First Up team at firstup@thestar.ca. I’ll see you back here tomorrow. | | | |
| | Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. One Yonge Street, 4th Floor, Toronto, ON M5E 1E6. 416-367-2000 | | PRIVACY POLICY | | | | |
No comments:
Post a Comment